Adoptive Parent Regulations
Income: Must meet USCIS Poverty Guidelines and demonstrate sufficient income for household size.
Age & Marital Status: 25 and up. Parents must be at least 15 years older than the child to be adopted, and no more than 45 years older.
Marriage: Minimum of 3 year at the time of dossier submission to Bulgaria. No restrictions
for previous divorces.
- Single woman for female child accepted.
- Children at home accepted with documentation of sufficient resources to care for additional children.
Processing Time & Travel
- After a dossier is submitted, it takes 2 or more years to receive a referral for children age 6 or under; for Waiting Children, it can take significantly less time.
- There are 3-6 months between referral and placement.
- The adoption is finalized in Bulgaria.
- Post-Adoption placement visits and reports are required at arrival, 3, 6, 12, 18 and 24 months
- Two trips are required. The first is 6–9 days, the second 9–11 days.